Teaching assistants and higher level teaching assistants are making an increasingly valued contribution to the school workforce. Teaching assistants support children with their learning activities in the classroom. They work closely with teachers to ensure pupils enjoy learning in a safe and caring setting. You could work as a teaching assistant in a primary school, children centre/nursery, SEN schools or independent schools.
Salford Supply Desk offer placements for:
- Level 3 Teaching Assistants
- Level 2 Teaching Assistants
- Level 1 Teaching Assistants
Roles of a Teaching Assistant
As a teaching assistant you would support teachers and help children with their educational and social development, both in and out of the classroom. Your exact job will depend on the school and the age of the children, whether it’s Early Years, KS1 or KS2. Your job may include:
- getting the classroom ready for lessons
- listening to children read, reading to them or telling them stories
- helping children who need extra support to complete tasks
- helping teachers to plan learning activities and complete records
- supporting teachers in managing class behaviour
- supervising group activities
- looking after children who are upset or have had accidents
- clearing away materials and equipment after lessons
- helping with outings and sports events
- taking part in training
- carrying out administrative tasks
Depending on the role, you may also support children with particular needs, working with them individually or in small groups.
In some schools you could have a specialism, such as literacy, numeracy or special educational needs (SEN). For example, if you are bilingual, you might do more work with children whose first language is not English.
As a teaching assistant, you will need:
- experience of working with children
- the ability to build good relationships with children, teachers, parents and carers
- an understanding of how children develop and learn
- flexibility and creativity
- the ability to work as part of a team
- good reading, writing and numeracy skills
- patience and a sense of humour
- the ability to manage groups of children and cope with challenging behaviour
If you would like to register with Salford Supply Desk, or even just make an enquiry, please don’t hesitate to contact one of our friendly team below!